Thursday 29 January 2015

A Winter Plan

Okay, it’s official – I have depression.  But don’t worry, this is not a baring the soul confessional of self-loathing and grey despair – it IS a gardening blog.  And gardening is the total antithesis of Depression.  In the cold and darkness that is winter my little back garden is nonetheless celebrating life with a gentle defiance that is determined to live in spite and sometimes because of it all: Hellebores are budding and beginning to flower; Snowdrops heads are waiting to open and there are sheaths of streaked yellow Crocuses appearing.  They are not obvious in this little patch – you have to look for them – but they are there.


My plan for this blog is to follow my back garden through the course of this year and to embrace the life it brings forth of which Depression would gladly deprive me if I let it.
  
Maybe.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really good idea. I love all the photos and will be good to see all the changes that happen in your garden throughout the year. Loving it. Take care of yourself. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeeb, thanks for commenting on my blog. I thought I'd visit and I'm rather enjoying your blog. As someone who also lives with life-long depression, I know just how easy it can be to stay inside, and yet being a gardener really does help you get out of yourself and see the world from another perspective.

    I hope you continue to blog beyond this year. Though I know myself that sometimes it can feel too much. The trick really is to blog when you feel like it, and never because you feel you 'have to'.

    ReplyDelete