Wednesday 25 March 2015

They also serve

As my old pal John Milton said when his sight was failing: "They also serve who only stand and wait."  In life in my back garden there is a lot of standing or sitting and even lying and waiting.  Sometimes life comes to those who wait and if I was a better photographer I could show you the wren that was working its way through my garden; the female blackbird who stood only a foot away from me for ages while eyeing up then picking up worms; and the two kittens who decided to use the space for a territorial dog fight.  But I am not a better photographer, so here are some of the less dramatic aspects of life today.




I am sure that these flower buds only appeared today on the daffodils Narcissus jonquilla 'Sailboat' as the stems only stood and waited in the sun.












As I watched my first bumble bee of the year heating up on a primula I also noticed the leaves of Anemone Blanda 'White Splendour' had appeared




However, it was only after taking the picture that I noticed the flower buds tucked under the leaves as well.


(Why this picture decided to upload itself on its side I do not know and I can't find a way to rotate it)











A fellow member of the Ranunculaceae family of plants is Aquilegia also known as Columbine or, indeed, Granny's Bonnets.

I find the emerging foliage of this one particularly attractive.  It is Aquilegia viridiflora 'Chocolate Soldier' which I grew from seed sown in April 2013.  They didn't do much last year but I am hoping they will flower this year.  The species originates from Siberia, this variety was introduced in 1902 and the flowers are supposed to be scented.  I continue to wait patiently for these.






The plastic greenhouse cover that was blown to shreds in the wind has been replaced and today I planted 70 corms of  the North American Gayfeather Liatris spicata in 70 small pots to start them into growth to delight the bees in the summer.  Just you wait and see.

Other things that appear to be only standing and waiting but are actually working hard include:
Myosotis 'Royal Blue' - Forget-Me-Not
Seed grown, the winter got rid of the mildew that threatened them in autumn.
Myrrhis odorata - Sweet Cicely
Must remember to remove those Sycamore seedlings.
Silene dioica - Red Campion
Fox and Cubs Pilosella aurantiaca in the background
One day, a wildflower haven this shall be.
Little Robin (maybe) Geranium purpureum
Amid runners of Bugle Ajuga reptans 'Braunherz'
Snakes Head Fritillary Fritillaria meleagris in sunken pots
Ox-Eye Daisy Leucanthemum vulgaris in the grown
Daffodil Narcissus 'Fortune' reaching for the sky
But it is not all waiting.  Something's are very definitely happening.  Another Siberian plant, the beautiful blue Scilla siberica is flowering nicely today:



The species daffodil, Narcissus lobularis, is more subtle than its highly cultivated cousins but no less enchanting for all that:

But, you could say they too are only standing and waiting.  Waiting to be pollinated or for the flowers to fade so they can set seed and/or return back to the bulb for the summer. Maybe Milton was only half right for we are all only standing and waiting . . . and serving.

Meanwhile, here's a daisy: Bellis perennis.:)  Have fun.










No comments:

Post a Comment