Wednesday 22 April 2015

On days like these


Narcissus 'Tete-a-tete' and Swing
On days like these when the sun is shining so hot it feels like summer I find the best thing to do is to just savour the moment.

Today I waved my father off as he towed the caravan for a break alone for the first time in his life.  Fifty-five years he and mum were together - before that was National Service - before that was living with his mum and dad.  It's not even seven months since mum died yet dad has managed to do something I thought he might never do.

It amazes me, just as I am amazed at how earth that seemed so bare and cold just a few months ago is now rippling with greenery and colour.  I know I planted some of the things that are growing and I know this happens all over these islands at this time of year every year but it still amazes me.




I sowed the seeds of Aquilegia viridiflora 'Chocolate Soldier' on 7th April 2013, so it has taken two years to be able to see this wonder.

A little shy, it bows its delicate head on a slender stem above deeply cut foliage tinged with chocolate at the edges.  Gently, lift its head and this is what is to be seen:

Sown in July 2014, were the Forget-me-nots, Myosotis 'Spring Symphony Blue':

More biennials:






Bellis Perennis 'Large Flowered Mixed' sown on 26 June 2014 (that would have been our 16th wedding anniversary had my wife lived).













The purple flowers towards the rear are Honesty, Lunaria annua, sown on 2nd July 2014.














Below, in my 'Gravel Garden' the unknown Iris from Lorraine Mitchell is spreading, as is Thymus serpyllum 'Coccineus' on the slabs, the yellow leaved Thymus x citriodorus 'Archer's Gold', and behind that the Dianthus deltoides while the quintessential English lavender Lavandula angustifolia 'Hidcote' is creating a nice edge.


The first bluebell has also begun to bloom.  These were in the garden when I came so I don't know if they are English, Spanish or a hybrid.  They will be lovely when they are all out, though some people call them a garden thug.  Me, I'm not scared.
Hyacinthoides non-scripta ... maybe
Behind it is Narcissus triandrus 'Thalia' ... definitely
And as I lie down and gaze up at the sky I am stunned by the newly opening foliage of the Hawthorn, Crataegus monogyna, which looks like it has been living much longer than I have:

Looking back at the garden I am also looking forward to what else is to come this year.

I shall always savour days like these, for while I may look forward and back I really only have today. And none of us know what lies ahead - not even Rossano Brazzi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO8RGw-1RJs





7 comments:

  1. Love your wee blogs. So glad Dad has managed to get away hope he manages okay.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Stuart. Wow, good on your dad. Do you know where he is going? It is a strange feeling being on your own. I lived at home till I was 22. Bought a unit and my best friend lived with me for 8 years till I married Mark. We were married 37 years. When Mark died I still had Krishy and Sharnee. To lose them both in one month was devastating and for the first time I knew what it felt like to be alone. Now I have my tow adopted girls, Hope and Harmony. I feel whole again. I hope your dad feels like this is an adventure. None of us know what tomorrow may bring, just like your beautiful garden Stuart. Lots of love from across the waves. Your cousin Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeeb,
    It's a pleasure every time to open your garden blog. The clear photos with the near poetic descriptions are a pleasure to experience.
    Rudi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeeb,
    It's a pleasure every time to open your garden blog. The clear photos with the near poetic descriptions are a pleasure to experience.
    Rudi

    ReplyDelete