Saturday 31 October 2015

Last Rose of Summer


I don't know the name of this rose.  I don't know its age or where it came from.  Not being very clever with roses I can't even tell you what type of rose it is.  I do know that it was here when I came nearly 3 years ago and that it is carrying this single bloom just now as we head towards November.

It's probably not a rose I would have chosen, but when I look at it on a rather dreich autumn day it looks beautiful to me and, certainly, I have no intention of replacing it with anything else.

I also did not choose another plant that is still in bloom.  I bought it, I planted it, and I have since increased it by cuttings, but it was never my intention to have a white decorative type.  I thought I had bought a colourful single bloom called "Braveheart" that would mark Scotland's winning of independence in 2014.  Well, Scotland got no Independence and I got no Braveheart,  Instead, I got the unknown bloom below.

And for Rose and Dahlia I am deeply grateful, as indeed I am for all the life in this back garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment